- "I know that AC... We fought together once. They're much stronger now though, there's no comparison."
- — Carius
|Affiliation and military information|
|Affiliation||None (formerly Venide)|
|Eras present||Verdict War|
|Real world information|
|Appearances||Armored Core: Verdict Day|
Origin: Old Uriae (South Frontier), Male, age 33.
A former mercenary of the Venide military. Details regarding his transition to mercenary status are scarce, but rumor suggests he left in the wake of series of orders he was unwilling to follow. He is a man of character, scarce among mercenary ranks, and a skilled pilot with a proven track record of delivering results.
His considerable skill kept him alive through many a chaotic battle-- long enough to face the men he had once served alongside as enemies in a tragic reunion.
Carius is encountered in mission 2-3 as an ally at Borozniki TS, where both mercenaries are paid based on how many units they destroy. The efforts of the player determines the outcome of the mission, as to whether they get the larger fee, or Carius does.
It should be noted that if the player wishes they can turn on him in mission 2-3 (for the fee or otherwise). Causing enough friendly fire will result in him defending himself as an enemy. If he is defeated this way he will chide the Lone Mercenary and retreat.
He reappears again in mission 6-6 at Pask Field after the player defeats the AC Penny Black. He shows great respect for the Lone Mercenary and notes how much stronger he has become. Despite this, he engages him in a duel and is defeated.
AC Cath PalugEdit
An agile, middleweight KE focused biped, Cath Palug is known from two configurations.
In both cases his AC's body remains mainly the same and it's always equipped with only-KE type weapons: a rifle, a gatling gun and a backup shotgun; however it shows different models of each these weapons.
The unit is equipped with an high precision rifle in his right hand, and features a standard low-damage gatling gun on the other side with a lightweight shotgun as a backup weapon.
|Cath Palug (Mission 2-3)|
|Classification: Armored Core||
In this configuration the AC is armed with an high-damage rifle, VTF misiles, a lightweight Kestrel gatling gun and a powerful backup shotgun.
|Cath Palug (Mission 6-6)|
|Classification: Armored Core||
In this fight, Carius is an ally and will be of much needed help if used as a shield or distraction, but be warned: if the player lets him kill all enemies in the mission, they will not get any money. The player needs to also take note that Carius will leave the battlefield if he takes too much damage, potentially leaving the player without any backup, should they be having difficulty.
Also, the player must be careful when and how they fire, as accidentally hitting him too many times will cause him to aggro to the player instead, and they will have to face him and any remaining enemies. Otherwise, simply beat him to the catch and kill all enemies before he has a chance to get a shot in; although in the beginning, he is a great help with taking down the more difficult enemies (i.e GOLEMs) as the player may not have powerful enough weapons or have started the game using an ACV save file.
This time around, Carius is an enemy, and must be taken down (along with any remaining enemies) to complete the mission. He will enter the battlefield after Roland and his AC Penny Black have been taken down, giving him a vastly higher advantage over the player due to the damage that they may have taken in the first battle. It is highly recommended to take down any remaining cannon fodder before engaging against Carius as they will prove to be a lethal distraction. Carius' weapons aren't too powerful, but they can chip away/tear through the players AC (depending on their desired defensive stats) quite quickly, especially his VTF missiles.
Simply use high-power TE or CE weapons and missiles, as he lacks any anti-missile capabilities, although his mobility will prove to be frustrating to keep up with. It is recommended to bring along a mercenary, team member or UNAC for additional support/aggro diversion.
- "Not a big challenge, but work is work. Just make sure you leave something for me, huh?"
- "You're lucky to be alive with those skills. In a way, impressive." (Mission 2-3, if he takes out more targets than the player)
- "Nice work. I wouldn't want to go up against you!" (Mission 2-3, if the player take out more targets than Carius)
- "I'm hit bad! Pulling out!" (Mission 2-3, if he is friendly and takes too much damage from enemy forces)
- "You're too greedy for your own good. I'm done. You're on your own now." (Mission 2-3, if the player attacks him)
- "That was a low blow! You'll get whats coming to you!" (Mission 2-3, if turned aggressive and beaten by the player)
- "I know that AC... We fought together once. They're much stronger now though. There's no comparison."
- "Who ARE you?!"
- The name of his AC, Cath Palug, is a reference to the monstrous cat of Welsh and French legend, Cath Palug.
- Also, his name may also be a reference to the WWII German tank ace, Otto Carius.
- Currently, Carius in the third NPC in the ACV universe to have a different part and weapon setup in the missions he appears in, the other two being RD (Vengeance) and Chief (Hanged Man).